Enos Barrett Disabled Group Pillow Making Project
- Group Name: Enos Barrett Disabled Group
- Project Name: Enos Barrett Disabled Group Pillow Making Project
- Type of Venture: Soft Furnishing
- Start Date: February 2014
Description of Project:The Enos Barrett Disabled Group produces pillows as a means of income generation. This venture also provides a platform where members of the disabled community can become empowered and made to feel useful and proud irrespective of their individual disabilities. They create beautiful cotton pillows as well as cushions, which are then sold to members of the Linstead community. The pillows and cushions are hand crafted while others are created sewing machines.
Aim of the project:To provide a source of income for the group and raise the self-confidence of disabled persons in the Linstead community
- To create employment for the disabled community
- To keep persons with disabilities occupied so as to motivate and reassure them of their self-worth
To contribute, to coordinate, to empower, to implement development in the community through social, spiritual, cultural, educational and economic projects and programmes.
|Currently Employs||10 Persons|
Technical advice on production methods
Training in Business Development Planning, Project Management, Financial Planning and Management and Marketing
ChallengesLimited supply of materials to make pillows and cushions
Lack of Funding
Inadequate transportation for persons with disabilities
771 - 8555
* Data was compiled from socio-economic survey conducted by SDC, 2009. A comprehensive community profile of Rose Heights Community can be obtained at the St. James 1 Albion Road, Montego Bay, St. James.