Ginger Ridge CDC
- Group Name: Ginger Ridge CDC
- Project Name: Ginger Ridge CDC
- Type of Venture: Agriculture
- Start Date: 2014
Description of Project:Description of Venture: The economic venture is geared towards training of persons in beekeeping activities and processes. Twenty (20) apiaries have been established with bee farmerss equipped with materials and equipment necessary to aid in honey production. These 20 bee farmers are currenlty multiplying hives so as to provide colonies for an additional 20 beneficiaries. This process will result in a 100% increase in apiaries and ultimately honey production.
Aim of the Venture:The project is aimed at facilitating employment opportunities through training and working capital infusion. This will directly increase honeybee production; significantly improve pollination thus increasing plants numbers.
- To increase the employment levels of persons within the community through the production of locally made bee hives and protective clothing for bee farmers
- To directly produce honey, pollen, beeswax and other value-added products such as jams, wines, sauces, etc.;
- To provide training for community members who store production equipment as well as the continuous training of bee farmers
- To establish a self employment programme for ten (10) young men and ten (10) women along with 20 family members; between the ages of 16 and 45 years old;
- To increase bee products for the local market.
- To promote bee farming among community members (especially youth)
A vibrant Apiculture Industry driven by value added products.
To equip our bee farmers with the necessary tools to become viable and productive members of society thus contributing financially to their families and community
|Currently Employs||20 Persons|
Needs• Financial Assistance to expand activities so as to increase number of bee farmers
• Technical advice on production methods, standardized labeling and packaging methods
• Increased Machinery and Mechanization
• Training in Business Development Planning, Project Management, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Management and Marketing
Challenges• The delivery of project inputs on time and within budget as prices are increasing rapidly
ContactsMr. Devon Wilks
(876) 841 - 6365
* Data was compiled from socio-economic survey conducted by SDC, 2009. A comprehensive community profile of Rose Heights Community can be obtained at the St. James 1 Albion Road, Montego Bay, St. James.