New Horizon Community Club
- Group Name: New Horizon Community Club
- Project Name: New Horizon Community Club
- Type of Venture: Agriculture- goat rearing
- Start Date: September 2011
Description of Project:Fifteen (15) members of the group received training in areas such as: goat rearing, meat processing, book & record keeping, business management, and leadership. Training was provided by various agencies such as Social Development Commission (SDC), Scientific Research Council (SRC), Rural Youth Employment Programme (RUYE) and Caribbean Agricultural research development Institute (CARDI). The New Horizon Community Club received twenty-one (21) goats (1 Buck & 20 Dows) as a gift from (SRC) and the (RUYE). The group has seven (7) acres of leased land for the rearing of the goats.
Aim of the project
- To provide youth employment
- To learn, master and teach best practices for livestock rearing
- Provide employment
- Getting the youth involved
To facilitate the well-being of community members, so that, they can make appropriate choices, through the promotion of teamwork and positive attitudes with social and educational programmes in order to make stewards of nation building.
NeedsGreater management skills and competences so the project can become profitable
Training in business plan
Marketing & promotion
Continued technical support, re: goat rearing from a vet
Medical equipment for the goats
ChallengesLimited human resource
Limited training for goat rearing
ContactsMr. Levie Plummer
Ms. Shauntae Thompson
Tel #: 482-7839
* Data was compiled from socio-economic survey conducted by SDC, 2009. A comprehensive community profile of Rose Heights Community can be obtained at the St. James 1 Albion Road, Montego Bay, St. James.