Pisgah Agriculture Group
- Group Name: Pisgah Agriculture Group
- Project Name: Pisgah Agriculture Group
- Type of Venture: Agriculture
- Start Date: February 2015
Description of Project:Description of Venture: The Pisgah Community Development Committee was formed in 2002, the group was established to lead the community development process and assist with alleviating a variety of community issues. There are approximately 30 members in the group who resides in the community; from the following districts of Pisgah, Berkshire Woods, Merry Hill and Huntley Castle. In 2013 the ODPEM in collaboration with the Social Development Commission and the members of the Pisgah Community ventured on a Ja REACH (Jamaica Rural& Ecosystems Adapting to Climate Change) project sponsored by USAID/ACDIVOCA under the Building Disaster Resilient Rural Communities and Livelihood Projects (BDRRC). The project embarked on conducting a Livelihood Baseline Assessment survey. This was to provide a good picture of the normal livelihood patterns of areas at risk from natural hazards; with the indication of the likely effect of hazards; and the key response priorities and institutions likely to be involved in recovery. The livelihood component of the project resulted in twenty seven members trained & certified in apiculture. As well as equipping of the group with 40 hives and equipment.
Aim of the Venture:
- To assist with poverty eradication in the community
- Create jobs and assist persons with income generation [single parents]
- To produce premium honey and by products at an affordable price.
- To assist with community development projects.
- To produce and supply at the local and international market.
- To create jobs and assist persons to generate an income for their families
The Pisgah Apiculture Group will run a profitable business employing residents while producing high quality bee products to the local and international market.
The Pisgah Apiculture Group through hard work, commitment and dedication will produce a sustainable and profitable honey bee business.
|Currently Employs||Part-time: 11 Persons|
NeedsTraining in business planning, financial planning & management, contract drafting, marketing and production, business plan development.
ChallengesAdditional equipment and factory space.
ContactsMr. Jason Richards,