Prospect Pig Farmers Association
- Group Name: Prospect Pig Farmers Association Cooperative Society Ltd
- Project Name: Prospect Pig Farmers Association
- Type of Venture: Pig Rearing
- Start Date: September 28, 2009
Description of Project:The Prospect Pig Famers Association Co-operative Society Ltd started out as a Producers and Marketing Organization (PMO) with approximately 30 members. The group was formed in 2009 shortly after the closure of Alpart which had resulted in several job losses for members of the community. The association produces high quality; high bred pigs and their current processes are influenced by the Jamaica Pig Farmers Association. Approximately one hundred (100) weaners –(pigs from the age of weaning until they reach about 40lbs) are available every 4 months.
Aim of the project:
- To increase production with 35 more sows to a total of 50 which will enable a 10 sow unit.
- To output 20,000 lbs of pork monthly.
- To increase production especially for the tourism market
- To provide employment for at least 5 more residents
To be a "household" name in Jamaica and Globally for pork and its by-products.
To improve the socio-economic welfare of the community and its environs. To grow the country's economy by supplying pork products to the local market thereby reducing its importation.
|Currently Employs||3 Persons|
NeedsA reliable water storage system which is costly.
ChallengesFunding to assist with expansion and to construct a processing plant
391-5090 / 569-3435