Somerset Chicken & Goat Rearing
- Group Name: Somerset Community Development Committee
- Project Name: Somerset Chicken & Goat Rearing
- Type of Venture: Revolving Loan and Agriculture
- Start Date: March 2010
Description of Project:The Somerset Community Development Committee (CDC) has a “Farming and Revolving Loan Project” to address the issue of high unemployment. This rural community in northwest Manchester has an estimated population of 1,088 persons. The overall benefits resulting from this project will be improved economic well-being for the community and revenue for the furtherance of other long term community goals. The Executive along with interested community members’ work together to oversee the Somerset Farming and Revolving loan project which provides:
- Continued partnership with the community re support of the project.
- Continued interaction with RADA and SDC in building capacity of residents
- Regular monitoring and evaluation of the Project providing feedback and getting relevant advice and technical support from SDC and other relevant agencies
Aim of the project:To provide employment for at least 10 farmers every four months. This will in turn:
- Improve community spirit and morals
- Increase the number of persons participating in farming
- Revitalize the Farmers Group
- To increase employment of community members through the Somerset Revolving loan and Farming project.
To foster the growth and development of community members educationally, socially and economically, as well as improving the infrastructure of the community.
|Currently Employs||15 Persons|
o Business Planning
o Project Management and Maintenance
Challengeso Funding for expansion of project
o Technical Expertise
* Data was compiled from socio-economic survey conducted by SDC, 2009. A comprehensive community profile of Rose Heights Community can be obtained at the St. James 1 Albion Road, Montego Bay, St. James.